Energy Professional Brings Meaning to the Madness of Power Pricing

Can I help you find something?

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Give 'Em Hell

Sports has the power to move me. A photographer named David Farmer sent my wife a photo he took yesterday of the Leader Board at Turnberry. Of course, that inspired me to write something about The Open.

While watching The Open championship at Turnberry in Scotland, I was happy to see Tom Watson playing his game. I, like most of the world, was rooting for him to win and set a new record for the oldest player to win an Open. Thus, at the age of 59, he would have achieved something no one else had managed.

Reflections

In the process of watching the game, several things came to mind as Tom struggled to regain the lead only to lose it again. This was a scenario that repeated itself several times. One thing I was thinking was how annoyed my daughter and I both were getting at the commentators who constantly felt compelled to tell us how old Tom was. All in all, it was a great battle.

Confidence High

When Tom made it to the final hole with a perfect shot off the tee to the fairway, I just knew he had this one in the bag. Then his second shot into 18 went just off the green, past the hole. His third from just off the green was one I'd seen him hit thousands of times in his illustrious career. I was confident he would either hole it or stop it within 2 feet.

Darn! He put some muscle on it and blew it past the hole by 8 to 9 feet. I just knew he would make the par to win. He didn't! Now, tied with Stewart Cink, he had to go into a 4 hole play-off.

Reminder Of Masters

This situation reminded me of the this year's Masters when Kenny Perry had a 3 shot lead and blew it coming down the stretch, going into the final hole. Perry then lost in the playoff with Angel Cabrera. I was rooting for Perry the very same way I'd been rooting for Tom. I just knew Kenny Perry would pull it off. But he didn't.

Whether it's a coincidence or this year's trend for the older player to step up so close and be denied, one can only speculate. Whether it is mental or physical fatigue or both, only they know. My hat's off to the older players for giving those young whippersnappers a run for the money. And, just maybe the next older pro who tries won't be denied!

Bringing Meaning To Madness

Give 'em hell, guys!

0 comments:

"If it weren't for electricity, we'd all be watching television by candlelight." ~ George Gobel

Copyright 2009 by Larry A. Reeves

All Rights Reserved. To reprint anything on this site, please give credit as follows:
Larry A. Reeves, SamePowerLessBucks.blogspot.com.

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

SAME POWER LESS BUCKS ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP